Saturday, May 30, 2009

Miracle Strip

The thrill of summer, being young and free, riding around and around on the swings, seeing the sights of the city. The night air, salty and sticky. The breeze blowing bumping hard and fast into the mouth of the dragon. I rememember getting $12 each of us from our granddad on our annual family trip to this city of lights, adventure and waves of excitement. We would take our cash and cross the carlined strip full of honking, music and freedom. We rode the Ferris Wheel together in the early days. They would all come and we would share this moment with the stars and each other stopping at the top, thinking these days were forever and youth was a term we despised. We rode together through the tree of spookiness and then walked bravely through the haunted house. How cool it was to turn the hidden wall and discover the path behind it. The Paratrooper was my brother's favorite ride and I will always remember the excitement in his voice and eyes when it was his turn to get on and spin around in circles. And if the heat of the night became too much we would venture into the Abominable Snowman where it was cool and windy as we went fast and furiously in circles to the beat of the music. But nothing compared to Dante's Inferno or what we referred to as The Devil. Def Leapord blared out Pour Some Sugar on me as we waited patiently in the chewing gum lined cheeks and tongue for our turn to get scrambled. The log ride was a favorite as well. Going up the hill and splashing down in our new outfits. I'll never forget my first ride on the bullett or the fun times on the Music Express and the darkness of the dungeon.

My heart ached when I heard the park was closing. So many lives were forever touched by such a special place and it is such a shame that the changing of the times leaves future generations void of such innocent adventures. However, it gives me hope to think of the rides incarnate at other parks across the world that carry new passengers full of life, innocense and adventure that we once shared. I think it would be incredible to visit one of these parks and again feel the wind blow wide open against my tan skin. But would my heart be able to relive the excitement, the pure joy that comes with being young and would it even mean anything to my child unscathed by the miracles of this one time must do while at the Gulf ?

1 comment:

  1. I went a handful of times as a kid... and if I am not mistaken - one of the rides is at Alabama Adventure! - "The Hurricane" - if it is not the same one... it is just like one that came from Miracle Strip... cause that was always my favorite ride there.
    At St. Luke's I taught the grandkids of the owners - I tried to convince them not sell... but it was futile!

    ReplyDelete